Friday, November 30, 2012

Preparing for Family Gatherings


I’m not sure about your family, but mine is spread across multiple continents so while we stay in touch with each other frequently we don’t physically see each other very often.  When we do get together, the gatherings are large, noisy, and full of fun and lots of food.  Inevitably, lots of food leads to many chefs in an unfamiliar kitchen trying to showcase their culinary skills or help with the dishes or open that first bottle of wine.  In everyone’s efforts to feel useful, frequent question(s) arise – Where are the pots?  Where are the placemats?  What do you want me to do?  Funny that everyone remembers where the alcohol is kept…..

On top of the stress normally experienced during big get-togethers, the last thing the hostess/host need is to be bombarded with a stream of constant questions. 

After experiencing such a situation at a family reunion a couple of years ago at my sister’s house I was determined to have a workable solution before the family descended on my house. 

My plan - identify the main contents of each kitchen cabinet, the pantry cabinets as well as what went on what shelf in which refrigerator.  I know this isn’t rocket science; on the contrary, it’s really simple, but unfortunately most people don’t think of doing it or are just too busy.

It goes without saying that I was the butt of many jokes but I held firm to the belief that this would make our time together easier and more enjoyable.  Nobody likes to feel useless, and by marking the cabinets, etc. I empowered everyone to contribute and shortened the learning curve and my frustration level!

Of course, there is always a practical joker in the crowd!  One night she (who will remain anonymous) decided she would switch all the labels around which threw everyone into a tizzy the following morning trying to find things or put things away.  It took me months to locate everything!

Unfortunately, time was not on my side this year when the family joined us at our house for Thanksgiving so the cabinet labeling fell to the wayside.  I felt vindicated, however, when everyone asked where the labels were and we had a good laugh recalling the label switch and everyone agreed it was a very good idea – the cabinet labeling that is, not the switcheroo. 

I have to say, I’d prefer to be known as a chef extraordinare, but I’ll settle for ordinary label maker and a less stressful, more organized and enjoyable family get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment